Don't be shy

Please don't be shy. I want to hear what you have to say, so please comment on my blog. You don't even have to agree with me, actually it will make the debate and conversation even more enjoyable if you don't. But if you do agree be sure to let me. I wish this blog to be a place where opinions can be expressed freely, ideas can be shared and stories can be told.
Melanie xxx

Saturday 7 January 2012

Grown-up disillusions


Wouldn't it be great if we could keep our kid’s innocence once we grow up?

I miss the time when I was not aware of all the horror and ugliness of this world. I miss the time when the only occasions I was crying for was because my dad wouldn't give me a candy or because I fell on the floor running too fast. I miss the time when I was blind to racist, illegality, prejudices and violence.

I remember when I was a kid I used to think that life was so beautiful. Seriously, discovering the world and all its wonders but none of its cruelties. I look at my son and everything he sees is a wonder to him. He discovers colors, animals, sounds and he's just amazed. He has no worry what so ever (except that I run out of milk!) He’s just happy.

I remember that no one cared if you were white, black or yellow. As long as you knew how to play tag and had Barbie's or GI-Joe we were friends. But then we grew up and all the sudden we have to explain the color of your skin. No one cared about your religion. It was the last of our concerns. All we were thinking about was playing. Jewish, catholic or protestant, you had a Nintendo at home and we were in business. Now somehow the same kids would meet today at 30 years old and they would fight.

I remember that when I was young things were simple. We would ride our bikes to the park and play until our parents call us for dinner. It was short and sweet. We called each other, meet somewhere and have fun. But then you grow up and realized that it's not enough to have friends. You need time and money, because god knows every move you take cost something. To top it up, you have to match your schedule, which is getting harder and harder with that new trend of 24/7 business. Everyone got a different schedule.

When you are a kid you see life so differently. I remember I would have a fight with my friend, screamed, "You're not my friend anymore," and cried, ran back to my place, but by the next morning we were friends again. We had forgotten the whole thing. Now we fight and dream of revenge. We plan how to hurt and humiliate the other one as worst as we can. No one wants to say sorry, too much ego to admit we are wrong.

When I was a kid I didn't know war existed. I wasn’t aware we were destroying our planet. I didn't know how it felt to be scared of tomorrow. I didn't know the air we breathe might be dangerous. I didn't know the water we drink had to be disinfected. I didn't know we were always under the treat of a new war.

Kids don't have any meanness or cruelty inside. They just have animal instinct. They are sad: they cry. They are mad: they scream. But once it's done it’s done and that's it. I miss that. I wish we could do that as adult. I just miss being a kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment